Sunday, January 17, 2010

6th Grade Revisited - The Earthquake

My son's 6th grade homework that is done over the weekend usually helps me decide what to write about each week. The past couple of weeks we have been studying seismology. I had begun constructing my blog on this topic on Monday, then ironically on Tuesday devastation struck Haiti, so decided I to scrap what I had written. I did not want to make light of earthquakes, as with the case of poverty stricken Haiti, we have seen how ravaging this type natural disaster can be.

My son and I had fun learning the mechanics of earthquakes, i.e., faults, plates, seismic waves, etc., but we soon learned there is nothing fun about its aftermath. I took this moment to explain to my son how fortunate we are, and that giving to individuals in need can be the ultimate learning experience.


For more information about giving to Haiti Earthquake Relief please visit this website:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/haitiearthquake_embed

No comments:

Post a Comment