Sunday, October 11, 2009

6th Grade Revisited - What a Ride!!

Wow, the last month has been crazy for us 6th graders. A new love interest has emerged and we did not see it coming. We are not living up to our potential in Math and our popularity rating keeps going up and down. What a roller coaster ride!

My son was begging me this week to let him quit school, so he would not have to face his new, not-so-subtle gal pal who is crushing on him. She is very vocal and very embarrassing....some might say down right overbearing. It took all I had not to giggle uncontrollably at his predicament, but, I realized this is as serious to him as my bullies were to me. So I took off my fellow-6thgrade-classmate face and put on my Mommy face and told him, “I understand your despair, therefore, I will allow you to be homeschooled.” Shock turned to disappointment when he realized what homeschooling meant:

Cleaning the house from top to bottom, laundry, ironing, and cooking all the meals, - oh and I also want a garden!

Kidding aside, I explained to him. “It is unfortunate you children have to worry about stuff other than academics at school, but that’s reality.” “We parents need to remember that, and it is our job to help you with "coping skills" so you are able to handle these additional distractions.” I guaranteed, “In a few days, this girl will tone down her demonstrative doting” (which she did.)

I told my son, “Have fun on this year’s roller coaster ride, the ups and downs are what make things interesting." I told him that my 6th grade ride was the awful, scary, slow, indoor boat ride... and... the only reason this particular attraction even had a line, was because it was the coldest ride in the park on a scorching hot day! I received the smile I was looking for, now on to Math homework, (Yuck, I would rather have a garden)…STAY TUNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment