Sunday, September 6, 2009

6th Grade Revisited - Math

Math…Ick! Who’s feelin me? I am sure many of you are feeling my pain. Math is not fun at any grade. After dinner and dishes, I realized it was time for us to tackle some serious math so I called my son in from outside to do our homework, and you know what I got! I received the double-sigh-crossed-arms-stomping-feet-I-hate-you-mom attitude. Parents I am sure you have seen this…it’s not pretty. I was going to overlook this eleven-year olds version of a temper trantrum, but then I thought, “Hmmm, is this what I was supposed to do too, cuz I don’t want to do this math homework either?” So I began to mimic his performance outside in front of all his friends and boy o’ boy did he hurry me in the house!

Now that the brooding was over it was time for integers, absolute value and decimals. Don’t be jealous.

You know how you used to say in math class, “Why do we need to learn this, because we will never use this as adults?” Well I too said this, and I am kind of proud to say I kept my word! Since adulthood, I've never had to diagram anything, been forced to recognize an isosceles triangle or lose sleep over exponents. I have never even balanced my checkbook . OK, I am exaggerating a little…I do calculate my PTO hours like a champ AND when it comes to going to the movies, if the movie I am looking to see is 133 minutes long, I know how to convert that into hours (I believe this knowledge is a necessity, who wants to sit though a movie more than two hours…come on!)

My son and I began the awful pain-staking math homework. I copied the page we were to do from the book and he used the book . There were like 50 questions on this page…UGH!!! Blood, sweat and tears went into this assignment. When I finally finished the last problem (1hour and 20 minutes later), my son looked up at me and said “Oh, forgot to tell you, we are only supposed to do the even-numbered questions.”….STAY TUNED…To find out if my son is still in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment