Sunday, September 27, 2009

6th Grade Revisited - Blinded by Science

So far my adult 6th grade experience has taken me through math, reading, creating a country in social studies and now it is time to for science. Ahhh science! Science is awesome because the subject encompasses so much. You can learn anything from nature to physical sciences and this week we worked on space. Space as in galaxy, constellations, the universe, you get the drift.

Ok, so my son recreated for me the science test he took in class. He received an A on the test and he could not wait to see what I would get on this same test. “No problem” I said, “I won’t even have to study because I have seen Star Wars 1 thru 17 (isn’t that how many there have been?)

The following are sample questions which appeared on the test:

1. T or F – The newest space station is the Mir.
2. T or F - In the electromagnetic spectrum different forms of radiation are arranged according to shape.

What the?..Luke, Darth, Leia and ‘nem never talked about this stuff! Where are the questions about Tatooine? Needless to say, it gave my son great pleasure to give me a C on the test PLUS a frowny face. BUT despite his numerous attempts to convince me otherwise, it gave me great pleasure to remind him that television and movies isn’t all a kid needs when it comes to their education. Momma always gets the last word…STAY TUNED! Da de dada de dada de dada (Darth Vader Death March)

No comments:

Post a Comment