Sunday, September 13, 2009

6th Grade Revisited - The Mile

I am ashamed to say I did not write a Wednesday blog because I allowed fantasy football to consume me. I am in two leagues and the way I researched prior to drafting my teams; you would think my life depended on getting the best quarterback or wide receiver. Now that it is over, I have to get my head back into a different game, this is my only shot to redo 6th grade. I guess I could revisit this grade with a grand kid. Naw, I will probably be too busy going to MCL at 4:00 for dinner or playing bingo.

So get this, my son comes home and says to me, “Hey mom aren’t you trying to do just about everything I have to do in sixth grade?” “Yes that’s the plan, I said.” “Well, today in gym class we had to run a mile, so you have to run a mile, right?” I could tell he was trying to hold back laughter.

Feeling guilty that I let 6th grade take a back seat and because my new jeans are a little snug we headed to my son’s school track. At first I was trotting around the track like a gazelle, gently dodging the little geese droppings sprinkled all over the track. After lap two (a mile is four laps around the track) my trotting turned into a sluggish shuffle. By lap three, I was just praying for it all to be over! My big size 11’s were squishing the geese pooh and I did not even care! When I got home I slapped so many Icy Hot pain patches on, I almost passed out from inhaling too much menthol. My son tells me the gym teacher is making them run a mile every month. Who is this evil woman?

Hmmmm…On second thought…Maybe I should revisit 6th grade with my grandkids because their gym class will probably be virtual. Can you picture it? Children sitting in the gym wearing futuristict goggles running the mile virtually…STAY TUNED…oohhh in about 20 or 30 years.

1 comment:

  1. I am seriously laughing out loud thinking of you tiptoe/running over bird poo!

    ReplyDelete