Sunday, November 15, 2009

6th Grade Revisited - The Bus

My son and I were doing our homework, when he casually mentioned an innocent occurrence that took place on his bus. I was unresponsive and frozen to his conversation, he tried to snap me out of it, “Mom, mom” he kept saying. “Is there something wrong?"

The buh, the buh, the bus…UGH! How could I forget about the BUS! I do not know which was worse the bus or the bullies. I think the bus may have had a slight edge. After all, it was this evil machine that took me to my 6th grade temple of doom!

The bus is the ultimate monster truck. Why are they yellow anyway? They should be red with painted flames on the side. Is society more accepting of this vile vehicle because of this palatable color? Since it is yellow, should we overlook the fact that it has no seat belts, and when the bus driver runs over a pot hole the kids fly in the air like popcorn? The poor kids suffer in the summer months without air-conditioning. In the winter, the heat is so inept except it only seems to spew properly on the bus driver?

Reminiscing with my son, I said, “Remember how you wanted to ride the bus so bad, when you were in kindergarten? I guarantee that by the time you get to high school, you will be so excited about no longer having to ride that thing... Oh how I hated the bus, I still have recurring nightmares about it.”

Sometimes my hyperbolic nature gets me into trouble, this was my son’s response:

“That is the way I feel too mom, I don’t want to ride the bus anymore. I don’t want to have nightmares. You seriously should take me to and from school from now on, it is for my own good.”

“Uhhhh that’s OK hon, you’ll be alright on the bus”…Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment