Wednesday, August 19, 2009

6th Grade Revisited - Charlie the Unicorn

I thought my 6th grade year would be all work and no play. I thought my son would enjoy coming home each day barking out my homework assignments to me. But to my surprise he came home one day this week letting me in on the latest craze. He told me ALL the 6th graders think “Charlie the Unicorn” is the funniest thing they have ever seen. I said “well since I am in 6th grade and all, let’s check out Mr. Charlie the Unicorn, where can we find it?” (I picked up the remote control to our TV, tuned to the guide) “Who airs it? What channel is it on, I will DVR it.” My son laughs and says, “No silly it is on You Tube." Of course it is... how could I be so silly? Anyway, we watched Charlie the Unicorn together, all the while I am thinking I am a bad influence, shouldn’t we be doing math or something but I could not stop, I was riveted by this crazy unicorn.

OK, if you have not seen the “latest craze” amongst 6th graders, Charlie the Unicorn on YouTube, I am not going to be the spoiler, but I will say it is bizarre to say the least. But, for some strange reason after the three-minute sketch was over, I started giggling, I really could not stop. My son was rolling his eyes at me saying “Mom, you and my classmates have low standards.” He walks out of the room and I am still giggling, at that moment it was like some Freaky Friday thing was happening in our house. It brought me back to those 1980’s Saturday Night Live Mr. Bill sketches. Ohhhh Noooo Mr. Bill…. remember? Horrible things happened to Mr. Bill but yet it was hilarious for some reason.

Hey turns out Mr. Bill is on YouTube also, so I can watch it anytime….ahhhh 6th grade in the 21st century rocks!…STAY TUNED!

OH…P.S – I picked up a book from the library yesterday, I am going to read the same book my son is reading in his class…more on this later.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't watched Charlie on You Tube, yet. I have to figure out You Tube first (ha ha). For a geek, I know suprisingly little about the latest internet stuff. What is a facebook? Is it a book of faces? I know what twitter is...a high frequency speaker, right? No, that would be a tweeter. Hmmm. Anyway, my reason for commenting was really to say that ironically, I was facinated by unicorns in middle school. I actually still have several figurines (oops, statues), but I got rid of all the posters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, Candy Mountain, Charlie...this is so funny. My somewhat adult husband was in love with this thing forever. He would go around quoting it and everything. It is bizzarre. I was a little bit disturbed to learn that my 7 year old cousin also knows about it, and thinks it is hilarious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...so you peaked my curiousity and I checked out Charlie the Unicorn and that's all I can say...Wow

    ReplyDelete