Sunday, August 30, 2009

6th Grade Revisited – Desegregation

Wanted to give a quick history lesson further explaining why I’ve decided to revisit 6th grade. In the 1980’s court-ordered busing was enacted and so began desegregation or “bussing.” Many black kids were bussed to schools in predominantly white neighborhoods. It was an effort by the courts to have the right integrated mix of students throughout certain Indiana townships. The practice of bussing was phased out around 1998.

Prior to 6th grade I was among the two or three black students already living in a "white" township. I did face some of the normal teasing, or just down right mean spiritedness that most students face such as, being too fat, too skinny, wearing glasses, etc. However, the “reverse” prejudice I was about to encounter from the other blacks students entering the school system in 6th grade with the advent of bussing was a difficult pill to swallow, and one I wasn't prepared to take.

The adversity and bullying I endured was not fun at the time, but the fun I am having with my son the last couple of weeks makes the experience well worth it! Over and above what else might be taught, "the lemonade you can make from lemons" is perhaps the best lesson we 6th graders will learn this year.

So glad I am revisiting 6th grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment